It is a spanish town of the region of Alto Ampurdán in the provincia de Gerona, Cataluña.
In little more than half a century it has experienced a rapid growth due to tourism, going from 2,703 inhabitants (1950) to 12,991 inhabitants in 2000 and 19,463 in 2008.
It is located on the north coast of the Golfo de Rosas, south of cabo de Creus. It is a large tourist center, with urbanizations, hotels and beaches and two ports (fishing and sports), and an attractive and very prominent place within the northern sector of the Costa Brava. The coast of the town of Rosas includes a long sandy beach and more towards the east a great number of coves, among which stand out Canyelles Petites, L’Almadrava, Cap Norfeu, Punta Falconera, Jóncols and Montjoi.
Although tourism is the main source of the economy, the primary sector is also present, with agriculture (olive and vine growing), and also, although smaller, fishing, since Rosas has the most important fishing port of the Coast of northern Catalonia.
Carnivals: One of the most important and famous festivals of the Costa Brava. It is extended for five days with different activities, although the main ones are the parades of floats on Friday and Sunday of Carnival on the Avenue of Rhode, in which are exhibited the most original disguises prepared for the occasion. They are celebrated on a variable date between February and March. In the carnivals of 2008 participated more than 6,000 people and 70 floats.
Fiesta Mayor: It is in honor of the Virgin of the Carmen, the 15 of August, and always they are present classical music, the habaneras, the sardanas and the giants; There is a procession of boats and end with fireworks that illuminate the bay.
Iglesia parroquial Santa María was consecrated in 1796, built on the remains of the previous temple of the Monasterio de Santa María de Rosas,from which the apse, the cruise ship, the Romanesque dome and some rest of the cloister are conserved. The restoration of the year 1853, work of the architect Martí Sureda y Deulovol,was in neoclassical style and it carried out reforms in the ship, the side chapels and the facade.
Ciudadela de Rosas, Remains of the fortification of the seventeenth century that enclosed the original villa, together with remains of the Greek and Roman citadels, and medieval remains, now houses an interesting museum of interpretation.
Castillo de Bufalaranya Documented from the tenth century.
Castillo de la Trinidad, Fortification of the XVI century, (in reforms since 2008).
Castrum o Ciutadella visigoda from Puig Rom.
Mirador de Santa Rosa de Puig Rom, To 225 m of altitude, magnificent view of the whole gulf, of the plain of the Ampurdánthe marshes (aiguamolls) and the Medas Islands in the background.
Conjunto megalítico de Rosas, Tour through a wide natural landscape that allows to see dolmens and numerous menhirs, in the road of cove Montjoi.
Punta Falconera, natural site in an unbeatable place, with remains (bunkers) of the Spanish Civil War, at the gate of the Gulf of Roses.